Tuesday, June 24, 2008

New Beginnings

In January, I started a Watercolor class at the Glassell School with my old friend Janet Hassinger. For years, I had longed to study with Janet and finally the time was right. And I have found that having an appointment to do something, forces the point. In other words, I love to paint, but never seem to have the time. Now with homework due and class to attend, I would be painting at least twice a week. I decided to focus on flowers, perhaps inspired by my first paintings of Janet's, whose botanicals were the very first art purchases I ever made back in the early 70's. I still have the pieces, a lyrical blue iris and a softly abstract pink rose, hanging above my desk.

After years of off and on study of watercolor, mostly with Carolyn Graham, I was still tight. Trying to paint like I draw. It only took a few weeks with Janet to completely change my approach and all of the sudden I was producing work that I liked and that everyone else did too.

This is a piece I did for my mother-in-law's birthday. She loves Bluebonnets, and lives on Bluebonnet Drive, so now she has note cards.

No comments: